Thursday 24 January 2008

The glass is half…

The question: Is your glass half full, or half empty? Now, depending on how the question is answered; the person asking the question knows if they are dealing with a positive person, or a negative person. Half empty? Well then you, my friend, are a pessimist. A dark word. Means that you see the bad in everything. It's half full you say? Then you are a positive "can do" type of cat. You take lemons and make lemonade. Ain't nothing gonna breaka your stride…

A thought occured to me today that made me rethink the whole "half glass" conundrum. The reality is that both answers be true. That there glass is BOTH half full, AND half empty. One does not exist without the other. The glass has liquid, this is true, but it also has fifty percent air in there. The correct answer is the glass is just half.

What then am I now that I have had this epiphany? If my official answer is "both", then am I branded both pessimistic, and optimistic? Do the two cancel each other out leaving me in my self realized middle? I like to think of myself as a realist, and so here is where it gets tricky. It is easy to answer the great glass riddle if the percentile is off. Take a glass; drink ¾ of the liquid in it. We are ready to admit a pessimistic viewpoint. Too much air, not enough liquid. Likewise take that same glass and pour into it a half a glass more of whatever liquid your mind can concoct. That same glass is now ¾ full. Well, again no brainer. Positive thinking wins out.

Thing is, very few things in our lives are at a "fifty-fifty" place. I would argue that right now in your life you are in either a MOSTLY full place or a MOSTLY empty place. Never mind the original question. The glass being half is a distraction to a really hard question. Are you mostly full? Why not to the brim? What do you have to do to add more liquid into that damned glass? Why go through life with a mostly empty glass?

Maybe it's because if you accidentally knock down a mostly empty glass you do not have much to lose. I propose that we keep drinking from our glass, and don't refill it. No refill means the glass is just getting emptier and emptier. Our lives are getting the best of us.

So what then? We just fill it?

Let's do so. I plan to take whatever liquid that I feel is appropriate and just over flow my glass. Toast with me!! Let us chink crystal together and let the excessive happiness of our lives over flow. Man I'm thirsty!

No comments: