Wednesday 30 January 2008

What to do With the Whacky Borders…

A common argument for people who are pro immigration is that our country was built by immigrants. This is kind of true. I mean there was an America before the immigrants, but I get the argument. This is the melting pot of the world. Never mind that the inhabitants were kicked off of land that they never even claimed was theirs. Let’s agree for the sake of this blog that this country could not be what it is without the poor huddled masses that sought a better life and impacted the directions that America took in her growth.

For the record: there are still poor, huddled masses out there. There are still places in the world that see America as the land of opportunity. It’s all true. America is great and wonderful for all of the reasons that were available a hundred years ago. Until a short time ago I was of an opinion that the borders should not be so strictly enforced. I was of an opinion that it is unfair that I should be so lucky simply because I was born in the United States of America, while others born on the other side of the border are condemned to a life of poverty. I still think this to be true, but a radio personality brought something to my attention during one of his rants.

He asked all of his listeners to think on one question. He asked that we see the problem in extremes. He posed the idea that America completely opens her borders. No checks, no process, no check point. Just open it up. Think about it. I imagine that you come to the same conclusion that I did. Devastating. Unemployment rates would be through the roof. There would be homeless immigrants as thick and as far as can be seen. No. This is not the ideas that I had envisioned about the immigrants of America.

I thought long about this. Whenever my opinions turn I find myself asking for the solution to my new perspective. I believe as a country we are not asking the right questions about immigration. Sadly, the questions are the obvious ones. We just simply do not ask them.

Why? Why the United States of America? What is it that we have here that make people break laws to get in? What is the drive that makes a man climb into a makeshift raft and risk his life to cross a chunk of water? Why isn’t this great Nation doing something to answer this question?

Think about the countries that have the most immigrants sneaking into our country. Mexico to the south. Cuba from the Caribbean. China through Canada and by sea. What is wrong in these countries that have forced people to make desperate moves to our country?

It is easy to say that the questions are not our concern. It is a quick answer to say that the affairs and poverty of other countries should not be The United States of America’s problem to solve. But then that is not what makes our country the greatest on earth, is it?

What I propose is not send money or aid to these impoverished nations. I am reminded of the old adage: Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Teach the man to fish, and he will never starve.

I propose that we volunteer ourselves to repair these broken nations. We train these nations to develop and grow as America has. Imagine how different the Country might be if Mexico struck the world’s largest oil supply? Or made cars and textiles to export? I am not referring to the cheap labor-made products that flood our stores and supermarkets. I am saying that our neighbors to the south would do better if there was more offered in the way of knowledge. If American Industry concepts were introduced.

It is true that this is a two way street. In order for this plan to work, the governments that we propose to help need to be open to the help. But the biggest question that I have, and I admit to thinking on lately is; have we asked? Have we proposed at all? Or have we offered to give these countries a fish and then find ourselves wondering why they are hungry after only a day?

No comments: